News Scroll - php error with phpBB 3.2.2 under php 7.2

Please post any support questions here. Guest posting is allowed
HaioPaio

News Scroll - php error with phpBB 3.2.2 under php 7.2

Post by HaioPaio »

Dear James

I have postet a similar report at the phpbb.com extennsions section for News Scroll in April this year
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/191226, however did not see any response since.

So, I am copying my question here, and hope that i'm not violating rules.
I have edited some parts with new information gathered in the meantime

I have used this extension a lot with phpBB 3.2.1 under php 7.1 without any problems and I love it.

However I have problems since I have updated the board to 3.2.2 and set the php version at the server to 7.2.

Every now and then users experience a php error after sumitting a post.
The post however is properly submitted.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 506: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
I was unable to find a way to duplicate the problem. I personally see it every second day at one post submission. All other post work fine.[/Strike]

The above text has nothing to do with your extension and is related to problems in phpbb 3.2.2, it has been reported via bugtracker.

The below problem description however, is related to your extension and area51 staff encouraged me to contact you:

Then I discovered the a similar error happens every time I use ACP > Extensions > Newsscroll.
The error can be duplicated everytime the NewsScroll Settings screen is accessed.
The Newsscroll Setting screen properly displays and all settings work.
However, on top of the page the following error is visible:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/hifikabin/newsscroll/acp/newsscroll_module.php on line 141: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 137: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 137: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
This makes me believe that the problem might be related to the News Scroll Extension.
The Board runs 3.2.2 with Style Orange BBEs and German Language.
It is hosted on Strato.

It would be great if you could have a look at this issue.

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: News Scroll - php error with phpBB 3.2.2 under php 7.2

Post by Administrator »

Good Morning

I am sorry that I missed your post on the CDB topic but for some reason I didn't get a notification.

I will install a test forum on php 7.2 and report back once I have done some testing

EDIT1:- Its definitely a compatibility problem with php 7.2

EDIT2:- replace ext>hifikabin>newsscroll>acp>newsscroll_module.php with the one attached (after un zipping of course) Purge the forum and browser cache and that should fix the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.