Human Adspammers

Please post any support questions here. Guest posting is allowed
Random American

Human Adspammers

Post by Random American » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm

I don't know if this is proper place to ask a question like this, so please bear with me. I'm thinking of establishing a phpbb forum and of course, I'm thinking about what to implement to keep out spammers. While the instructions on keeping out the automated scripts are quite straightforward, how should I block human spammers? Is the "Newly registered users" group sufficient in doing that?

I'm asking because I've been on a site that have had problems with human spammers.

Thanks.

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Human Adspammers

Post by Administrator » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi.

My recommendation is to use a non searchable (ie one that can not be found in Google) Q&A which as you say will stop 99.99% of all SPAMbots. As you know I use my Registration Question Extension for this purpose, and since I have enabled it on all of my Boards I have had zero automated signups. Of course the answer could eventually be programmed into the BOTs, but then its a case of simply changing the code and they will be blocked again.

Human SPAMmers are of course a different question. Stopping them takes a little more effort, but this is how I do it.

1) Disable Guest Posting. (if they can not be bothered to register why should you be bothered to let them post?)

2) Set registration to "By User" so that a valid email address in needed.

3) Set "New User Post Limit" to at least 1. Any Human SPAMmer will usually fail here as they will either post their ad or post a pointless "Thanks for the informative post" type comment or maybe quote another post whole. Either way they are easy to spot.

Also their email address tends to be of the nonsense type (eg 178hy65f@gmail.com )

Using all of the above I get maybe 1 spammer every 2 or 3 months across all of my boards. Their posts are never seen as I always delete their post and account. There is no point banning the email or ip. Emails are seldom reused, and ip's regularly change anyway.

Just use common sense, and you should have few problems in this area. Any site you have seen that has any amount of SPAMmers adverts is due to a lazy or incompetent Administrator.

Random American

Post by Random American » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Understood, and thanks again. I'm probably going to set the New User Post Limit to 3. I don't know if 1 will be enough.

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm

No Problem. IIRC the default is 3 posts but both on phpBB.com and my own boards I have found 1 to be all thats needed. Whatever value you choose can always be changed in the future should you feel the need. All I would advise is three posts needing moderation might annoy some people, just my 2c.

If I can be of any further help, please ask.